Is Lambert Backlash Necessary? Or Overkill?

I have no doubt that Adam Lambert was certainly hoping to make a statement with his lewd performance at the American Music Awards last Sunday. But instead of that statement being, “I’m here and you want more of me!”, it was “You’re here, and we don’t want you!” Yes, Adam Lambert has had many appearances on talk shows cancelled ever since he entertained us all with his gigantic onstage sex show. This ban of Lambert over the airwaves started with his appearance on Good Morning America, which was cancelled and has trickled down to his appearances on Jimmy Kimmel Live and Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin Eve.

Lambert has come out with a shockingly gracious statement towards the ban and has Twittered his feelings about it, and to let his fans know that he can still be seen on Jay Leno, which I personally think is too bad. I guess Jay doesn’t mind if his set suddenly busts out into an orgy. From The New York Times via Celebitchy,

“More than a week after his controversial performance at the American Music Awards, Adam Lambert says he continues to find himself an unwanted guest on ABC.

Late Wednesday night, Mr. Lambert, the singer and “American Idol” finalist, wrote on his Twitter account that his invitation to two more ABC programs had been withdrawn.

“Yes, sadly friends,” Mr. Lambert wrote, “ABC has cancelled my appearances” on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and the annual “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” special.

Last week, ABC scratched a planned appearance by Mr. Lambert on “Good Morning America,” its morning talk show. That decision stemmed from Mr. Lambert’s performance on Nov. 22 at the American Music Awards, also broadcast on ABC, during which he simulated sex acts with his dancers, kissed a male bandmate and extended his middle finger to the camera.

In announcing its cancellation of Mr. Lambert’s booking on “Good Morning America,” ABC said it was concerned that the singer would give another “controversial” performance “so early in the morning.”

On Monday, Anne Sweeney, the co-chairwoman of Disney Media Networks and president of the Disney-ABC Television Group, said that the network was re-evaluating its approach to live shows in the wake of Mr. Lambert’s act, and would seek to ensure that artists’ performances more closely resemble their rehearsals. “We certainly don’t want to suppress artistry at any level, but we also have to be very cognizant of who our audience is,” Ms. Sweeney said in an interview with Reuters.

A spokesman for ABC’s entertainment division, which oversees “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve,” was not immediately available on Thursday morning.

But on his Twitter account, Mr. Lambert tried to strike a conciliatory tone. “It’ll all blow over,” he wrote. “Let’s focus on being positive!” He also said that he was still booked to appear on “The Jay Leno Show” on NBC.”

Celebitchy also quoted from his Twitter page where he also added, “Don’t blame them (the shows.) It’s the FCC heat,” which is a nice way of giving the shows and the networks an out. I don’t think that all of this banning of Adam Lambert is actually necessary. I personally am not a fan and find him repulsive in just about every way, but he’s a person just like me free to do as he chooses. I didn’t think that his performance at the AMAs was appropriate, but not because there was gay behavior involved. It was because if I want to watch people having sex of any kind, I’ll rent porn. Otherwise, leave me be. It just wasn’t right.

Be Sociable, Share!

Related Posts:

  • None Found

0 comments ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment