Jessica Alba Has Herpes! Ew!

97ebd520-d8a5-4836-8b0d-967b47509facwidec.jpgWe all thought Jessica Alba was one hell of a hotty. Turns out, she’s actually quite a… well, “notty.” The latest bit of gossip about Jessica Alba is that she has Herpes, and that she got it from Derek Jeter of the NY Yankees, infamous for his celebrity flings. Which of course implies that he’s been giving out one of those dirty little gifts that keep on giving, to quite a few celebrity women. From what L.A. Rag Mag says, sounds like there’s a herpes outbreak in Hollywood. Ewww.

“We’re going to apologize in advance to all the straight men out there, for ruining their Jessica Alba fantasies, but here goes…..

Jessica Alba(before she was Jessica Alba) used to date Derek Jeter, the serial celebrity dater, who plays for the NY Yankees. Well, our source who worked for one of their camps, had to refill her Valtrex prescription for her on a regular basis! Guess who she got it from…that’s right…dirty Derek Jeter.

You know what this means don’t YOU?!! All of his other famous relationships could have contracted the STD TOO! Derek’s most famous sexual conquest include Mariah Carey, Jessica Alba, Vanessa Minnillo and most recently Jessica Biel. Which means JT could have it AAAHHH!!”

Now that’s just nasty. True, could be nothing but a rumour, but… still… Gross.

#1 Jennifer on 08.15.07 at 1:38 pm

This was just proven untrue. It was just a lie..get on with your life now.

#2 Yoshi2me on 08.16.07 at 6:09 am

I don’t think it’s true either. :D

#3 Mac on 08.16.07 at 8:35 am

May you never find out just how easy it is to get herpes and how common it is.

#4 Yoshi2me on 08.16.07 at 9:38 am

Doesn’t everybody know that 90% of those that actually have herpes don’t know that they have it because herpes isn’t part of the routine std testing process?

#5 Sand & Cotton » The Greatest Energy Drink Commercials and Advertisements Of All Time Since The Beginning of Time And Until Time Ends Forever… on 08.21.07 at 6:44 pm

[...] but what the fuck is this an ad for an energy drink or Valtrex?! And speaking of Valtrex now that it comes out that Jessica Alba has herpes I might need to hook up a prescription because I imagined hitting that so often I probably got that [...]

#6 Cassie on 08.28.07 at 7:28 am

I think something like 80% of people that have herpes arn’t aware that they have it or that they can transmit it.

#7 Yoshi2me on 08.28.07 at 1:30 pm

It’s actually 90% of those that have genital herpes don’t know it because they don’t get signs or symptoms. Since herpes isn’t included in the routine std testing process, why would they know?

#8 ntegrty71 on 09.13.07 at 6:21 pm

Whoever wrote that headline should be held down and forcefully given every sort of herpes possible.

#9 Linda on 11.20.07 at 10:18 am

F you for treating this as something dirty. I also hope you catch hsv-2 then you can look in the mirror and say “eewww” to yourself. Linda

#10 Belinda on 12.27.07 at 10:56 pm

If she has it…she has it, no big deal. She is still the same beautiful young lady she was before. I hate the stigma that follows people with herpes.

#11 pamelaaaa on 01.09.08 at 3:47 pm

weeeeeeeee hahahaha i believe derek jeter hadddd them :]

RED SOX. WORLD CHAMPS. O YEAAAA. ok imma stop with that.

#12 adam on 01.13.08 at 6:46 pm

How many of you arrogant f*cks have a clue about the disease? It is no more disgusting than being a critical piece of sh#t with the arrogant insinuation that your lips could never suffer the same…. who cares if it is true about Alba or not? Grow the F up!

#13 Mechelle on 05.13.08 at 5:49 pm

If you’ve ever had a cold sore, then you too have a form of herpes. There are 40 million Americans in the U.S. alone who have HSV2, the virus that causes genital outbreaks, and 90% don’t even know they have the virus…so before you say how gross it is…get a blood test to see if you have room to be talking.

#14 Scott on 05.18.08 at 10:05 am

As far as I know, you can’t get herpes from jacking off, so who cares whether Jessica has it or not? She still looks hot, and 99.99% of men who fantasize about her will never even get to meet her, and they can still jack off to her pictures w/o fear of contracting anything.

The story, though highly judgmental and poorly informed, does underline the importance of using protection when engaging in sexual activity.

#15 Schmo on 06.04.08 at 7:45 pm

Whoever wrote this headline is completely ignorant. Instead of judging those who have herpes, we could get EDUCATED about it.

It is not herpes itself that is the problem. It is the negative stigma attached to it.

Perhaps whoever wrote this headline (after looking in the mirror one day and saying ewww to yourself), you need to imagine 4 of your closest female friends. 4 of the ones you respect and love. Now you need to realize that ONE OF THEM probably has herpes. This is based on statistics my dear. Are you going to stop respecting her and loving her, basically thinking of her as “dirty” now?

GET EDUCATED.

#16 brenda on 07.03.08 at 10:20 am

whoever wrote this, you disgust me.

I can honestly say, I have genital herpes, and you should be ashamed of yourself for judging people who have it, especially since none of us ASKED to be infected, but instead were either victims of people who didn’t have the decency to inform us, or by partners who didn’t even know themselves.

So , I’d keep my mouth shut if I were you, because those of us who are infected are SICK of hearing all the jokes, and nasty comments.

In my opinion, YOU are nasty just for judging.

#17 Em on 07.04.08 at 11:01 am

In all honesty… herpes is not that big of a deal… Jessica is beautiful and talented… at least she’s using the valtrex to stop from spreading the virus (unlike the jerk who infected her apparently.) I was infected the same way, By a jerk who knew he had it and never told me. He too is from hollywood (television industry, not film). I am talented and beautiful and have a great life… i have no problem dating people mature enough to know/ understand that its really not a big deal! it’s really not! i hate that people think its so gross, its really not! 99% of the time i forget i have it because everyone is right, it IS symptomless! the only reason i take the valtrex is to protect my partner… and he hasnt contracted it yet!

Come on people, grow up… its not the end of the world. Everyone is right about the stigma…i used to think it was gross too! i used to watch the valtrex commercials and snicker and poke fun at them… well, i had it all along and never knew.

its not the end of life…life is what you make of it. I am always honest, and have never had anyone turn me down or be rude to me because of it… the most common response i have gotten since dating after being diagnosed is “well, its not your fault, there was nothing you could have done differently, i would never leave you for something as dumb as that.”

so for all you rude people out there, believe me, you can easily get it. I dont sleep around, and i used condoms and still got it from someone i was in love with!! I cant erase the truth, life does go on.

If jessica alba really does have it, then i say “you go girl” cause she hasnt let it affect her life…which no one should.

anyone reading this who is down on themselves, please keep your chin up… its not the worst thing in the world. The stigma will subside as most of the population will find out they have it. I guarantee there will be education about how its NOT a big deal, and how to stay healthy while living with it…. all you need to do is be happy and you will be fine. less stress is key.

take care all.

#18 Em on 07.04.08 at 11:11 am

Oh, and to agree with Scott, the only reason i found out i had herpes was from a blood test. I specifically asked to be screened for everything, and that’s what they found.

My symptoms are very minimal… and subside after a day…. and when i say symptoms, i dont mean “sores” (as i have never had one yet!) i mean just tiredness and muscle pain in the legs… i never in a million years thought that herpes could be the culprit. ignore the very shocking pics on the net, in most cases they are VERY far from the truth. If you think you may have it, get tested as the treatments out there will provide you with a world of relief.

Good luck!

#19 cosa7189 on 07.04.08 at 10:41 pm

Em, that was beautifully put and completely true. Society seems to poke fun at the disease, but In reality I think most people do that because they are ignorant, and feel like it will never happen to them. The truth is though that anyone worth dating won’t back out because of something so small. I didn’t back out on my gf when she told me…and it took 4 years and and a bit of carelessness on our part for me to get it. It isn’t that transfferable if your careful…and I think most people know and accept that pretty well. Jessica Alba is and will always be beautiful. If it’s true she has it, it only adds to her beauty as strength is an attractive quality.

#20 uisl69 on 10.04.08 at 6:52 pm

mariah carey most def has herpes, she has a valtrex
perscrption, and is gay. or at least bi,

#21 jon on 12.17.08 at 9:58 am

Hold on… herpes? 1 out of 5 people have it.. its not a big deal anymore, very common.. has nothing to do with whether you sleep around or not..

#22 Jay on 01.02.09 at 2:36 pm

I came across this by accident and I am so glad I did…I want to thank all of you for your supportive comments…I feel so much better after reading everyone comment… Yes, I have herpes and because of those people that judge us I have been hiding and making excuses not to date cuz I am afraid to tell men. Stupid, yes, but if you don’t have the virus then you have know idea how hard it is to tell that person you like you have herpes. It’s been over 20 years I have not dated…yup very lonely and sad…Honestly, I don’t know how to tell and don’t want to see that look on his face when I say btw I have herpes…

#23 Lea on 01.13.09 at 2:09 pm

Honestly I am tired of all of the negative stigma attatched to Herpes and HPV as well. I would have rather gotten away with herpes than HPV because I now have complications with cervical cancer. As for the other people on this forum who have herpes, consider yourselves extremely lucky. Because HPV 16 may not cause outer symptoms but it causes cancer if left unchecked. So don’t feel alone or judged. As most of us caught what we had by not sleeping around, but from someone we were in a committed relationship with who we trusted. You people have NO IDEA how you can easily catch it. NONE.

#24 Crys on 02.09.09 at 12:28 pm

ignorance is why people who do have it are afraid to come out and be honest about it!!! It just as common as the chicken pox.. it’s the same VIRUSSSSS… Just to a more extent! So what if she has it or Rhianna? It’s life get over it.. about 1 in every 5 people have it or have (or had) some kind of STD. PEOPLE NEED TO BE EDUCATED! Life goes on, but people who are ignorant about it, make people feel that they’re not worth shit when they try to live a “normal” life. Put it this way, the one you turn away because they may/may not have herpes, will be the reason why the next person u try to get involved with will be the one to burn you. =) do some research before you start rambling on about a disease that is just as common as the common cold…

#25 Boyzo on 02.10.09 at 12:07 pm

How is having an ailment as common as a cold gross? Quit being so ignorant. It’s uneducated people like you who publish lame stories such as this that cause such misconceptions about a simple virus that millions of people have.

#26 MR.KGH on 02.13.09 at 12:57 pm

Hi I am a 43yr blackmale in atlanta ga. and i dont want to give herpes to anyone . like someone gave it to me but its hard to meet someone that you like and may want to hang out with or whatever. because one day you no you are going to have to tell them. so how do i meet a nice lady that may have it to and we dont have to say we have it. thanks

#27 crys on 02.13.09 at 5:30 pm

If ure trying to meet sum1 there are websites such as H-date.com

If sum1 likes u, don’t be afraid to open up. Im not saying go ahead and tell ur business to everyone you feel that ure attracted to, but life is all about risks. Its not going to be easy. Your life is different now, but ure not disgusting because u have it. As long as ure on top of ur game, u can live a normal n fun life. But the most important thing is accepting that something in ur life has change, but not You. Cheer up…

#28 sweets on 03.12.09 at 6:43 pm

wow having herpes is not fun, people are so quick to judge (i kno cause i was like that before i got it), i just wish there was a way to educat America a little better on ur health issues. I wish someone could get the balls to talk about it publicly and not one of thoese silly commercials. We need to do better America!!!!!

#29 Cheyenne on 05.18.09 at 9:54 am

When I was in high school I use to make fun of the Valtrex commercials, you know, they use to show people doing all this adventurous or exciting things like horseback riding, mountain climbing, canoeing, bike riding, whatever. And I would say something stupid like, “well, I didnt know you had to have herpes to do all that, I almost wish I could get it.” A year after graduation I was having my first outbreak. Ill admit, I was partying a lot and slept with the wrong man. But I dont regret it. Yeah, herpes sucks, you get stressed out or sick and then you get even more sick when the virus comes out, but if anything, having it has taught me so many life lessons. It has taught me not just to date anyone and be more careful with my body, who my friends are (I told of couple of my friends when I found out and some of them though it would be fun to tell everyone else, so I said goodbye to them and my real friends still loved me all the same) and it has taught me that any man that truly wants to be with you will say “I love you for everything you are” not “i love your body, but its too bad your diseased.” My sex life did not end, I have had a couple of partners and all of them were told before anything happened and they all said it doesnt matter, and none of them was given the “gift that keeps on giving.” My current boyfriend, soon to be husband, tells me everytime I get sick that he doesnt care if he gets it or not, he just wants to be with me. Thats love.
So no, herpes didnt destroy my life, it made me stronger and wiser. And if it took getting an std to take better care of myself, to stress out less, and made me smarter than I cant hate it all together, its just a bummer to have an outbreak. But hey, I take my valtrex and I ride my bike, go swimming and camping. So yes, my wish did come true after all.

#30 Shawna on 07.31.09 at 9:23 am

It’s truly sad how disgusting people are in terms of what they say about herpes when the don’t know a thing about it, just what they have heard or think they heard. I, too, thought it was gross, and then surprise, I got it. 1 in 5 American adults has herpes, those are high odds. And those are an estimate, because what is frustrating that unless you have symptoms, its somewhat difficult to detect that you have it. If you have sores, they take a culture, and its 100% accurate. However, unless you have built up the antibodies in your blood, its hard to be sure. I am nearly positive I contracted it from an ex-boyfriend who got from one of his partners, but he refuses to come to terms with it. Regardless, it was a little difficult to come to terms with, as it simulatenously came with a break-up, but since my first outbreak, I have began taking my daily prescription and it keeps it under control. Like others, there are days when I forget that I have it. I truly wish the stigma of the disease would fade, and I do think that a massive campaign to educate others solely on herpes is necessary. Efforts are done to spread the word about teenage pregnancy and HIV, why not herpes? Sure, herpes doesn’t kill you, but it is something one has to overcome which takes some strength and effort, but that doesn’t make the nervousness fade every time you have to tell a new partner. Someone, a celebrity preferably, should start spreading the word, I would stand behind them.

#31 queenbee on 08.26.09 at 6:06 am

I feel that people need to stop judging people for it. If 80-90 percent of humans have HSV-1 on the mouth, Then how many people have herpes 1 downstairs? A hell of alot more than 1 out of five.

#32 Colleen on 09.12.09 at 2:45 pm

Why is it okay to denigrate women who contract the disease from their MALE partners??? Other than avoidance, there aren’t a whole lot of ways to prevent contracting the virus. Even with condom use, if there are lesions on areas that the condom does not cover, a partner is at risk.

At least this people who are infected, are taking active steps to minimize risks to their partners by taking an anti-viral medication.

#33 Stephanie on 10.24.09 at 8:49 am

My younger sister found out she had it about a week ago. I have been researching “herpes” on the Internet and I have to admit, the pictures are terrifying. I broke down and cried, I just felt so horrible that she is scared and going through this and I don’t know what to say or how to help. I do not look down on people who have stds, unless they are aware and do not notify or protect their partners. Such as the dude who gave it to her. She feels like her life is over, that no one will ever want to be with her. My heart aches when I thin of her feeling like she doesn’t deserve to be loved…overall my consoling her and my advice isn’t helping because I don’t understand. Is there any good support websites not focused on dating? She’s not ready

#34 Scott on 10.26.09 at 9:30 am

Stephanie, your sister will be OK. Herpes is not a death sentence nor a scarlet letter. I got infected a long time ago, but since then I got married and my wife and I have a wonderful son who is entirely free of the virus.

Moral of the story? We get through it. And we get through it easier if we accept it and don’t spend a lot of time feeling sorry for ourselves or blaming the person who gave it to us, etc.

Herpes will (should) change one’s sexual choices – we should be careful about using appropriate protection and being careful not to spread the virus to others.

#35 bradd on 01.24.10 at 10:16 pm

1 in every 4 americans has it.. thats not what we can be proud off.. it just shows that we have a rather promiscuous yet ignorant culture.. statistics shows.. yes no one is to be blamed as its an unknown virus.. in my opinion, due to our rather promiscuous culture, we should promote practising safe sex all the time whether its a stranger or a boyfriend/girlfriend until after both partners are tested. i hope the reseachers can come up with a cure, else it will just keep spreading all over the entire america.

#36 jessie on 01.24.10 at 10:26 pm

i am not the promiscuous type. i admit that i am rather naive, trusting and believing my boyfriend of 2 years who knew he had it since college as he had an outbreak then. Now i am stuck with Hsv-2 for life thanks to the jerk. i have since had a bad outbreak that has sores all over my genital areas. it was very painful especially when the sores broke out with pus. the doc advised i should pump up on my immune system and that the subsequent outbreaks should be lesser. i am hoping for a cure too.

#37 AnonY on 03.28.10 at 6:24 pm

Okay, I have to comment on this. EVEN IF Jessica Alba had a Valtrex Rx, it DOES NOT mean she has genital herpes. I take Valtrex for recurring cold sores, a problem I have had since I was 15 years old, having NOTHING to do with ANY sort of sexual contact. When I got my first cold sore, I had never even kissed a guy. Valtrex is also used for oral cold sores, so perhaps, if Ms. Alba does indeed take Valtrex, it could be for cold sores, not for genital herpes.

#38 kmmy on 05.09.10 at 6:53 pm

Well at least you don’t die from herpes.

#39 vyyper on 05.11.10 at 5:27 pm

Hello to everyone,
I’d like to enlighten a few of you and correct a few things. First of all, Herpes (HSV1 and 2) is a virus not a disease. It’s as common as the common cold and no there is no cure for it as of yet. There are strides being made for a cure as we speak, but as of now, no. The virus can live on surfaces for about 4 hrs and live in towels for up to 72 hrs. As far as cold sores, sorry it is a strain HSV-1. Chickenpox, Shingles (vzv) is also a cousin of the HSV1 and 2 but not the same strain. Also for those of you who have had chickenpox, guess what, you still have it in your system for a lifetime also. So before you start judging and demoralizing others, be thankful ( if you have contracted it) that you don’t. For those that do, don’t be discouraged, it’s just a virus, yes its annoying and embarrassing at times, but it won’t kill you. The ones you need to worry about is HIV,syphilis, Hepatitis, among a list of others i won’t care to mention that can kill you. How do i know, well let’s just say i work with these communicable diseases everyday.

#40 http://www.sevimliarkadasbul.com on 05.22.10 at 12:38 am

partner

#41 Frank on 06.04.10 at 1:34 pm

He he, Miseralba got what she deserved. She f-cked around with fire and got burned and for those of you who want to whitewash the truth to make yourselves feel better, sit down!

#42 Dick on 06.11.10 at 3:25 am

Moron author of article: you probably do too. And your mom and dad. And your brother.

That’s not slander, it’s just statistics. Dufus.

#43 Julz on 08.11.10 at 5:37 pm

Your such a jerk! How dare u!? I hope you never have to swallow your words and one day realize u have this life changing painful disease that no one asks for. I have two friends who have been infected with the virus and they weren’t dirty at all! One of them feel in love with a man while she was in highschool and she gave her virginity to him and the jerk knowingly infected her. My other friend was taken advantage of at a party when she had one too many drinks and was later diagnosed as well. These women are not dirty! All it takes is one time.

#44 jonisjackingoff on 08.17.10 at 12:59 pm

I’d be Jessica Alba’s personal toilet.

#45 cino on 09.03.10 at 11:46 am

many forms of herpes, many have it & don’t know it (HOPE not me!) or don’t show symptoms.
it can be very dangerous in immune deficient people.

at older ages can produce ‘shingles’.

good luck everyone.
think i’ll stay home tonite.

#46 anonymous on 09.14.10 at 9:22 pm

i actually wanted to kill myself and thot it was the end of my life but i cant do that to my parents. im only 25, i dont wana die yet. i have noone to talk to about it at all cuz noone would understand. how will i ever have a family one day? im honestly just searching for someone to tell me its gona be ok.

#47 Me on 11.03.10 at 7:13 pm

People who down other people about having herpes are the people who have the virus and not yet dealt with it ……there’s lots of people hiding from it!

#48 jank brock on 11.27.10 at 12:48 pm

Well then I guess instead of going down on that hot slut I would have to just eat her ass.

#49 cd on 01.25.11 at 8:50 am

Hey number 46, i felt the same way before. i realized that this is not that bad in the scope of things when you think about how bad other people in the world have it. Granted i have not told this girl im into that i have it yet, and i sure it will be hard, but things could be way worse

#50 simpleman on 03.16.11 at 8:32 am

I recently contracted Herpes or as I like to call it “H” seriously the word herpes sounds like some fucking crab like monster that eats flesh! In reality its just a skin condition that can be easily treated.
And if you take a daily pill the little fucker won’t come back! However if it does it might be there a day or two. For me being a guy its sorta like a man period! Haha So for all of you who have it or think you might have it there is really no need to worry. You will still have a normal life and still get to have awesome sex with hot girls. I do all the time but I’m careful(daily pill and condoms) so jessica if you do or do not have “H” could we get together sometime for coffee!? :) rock on people

#51 suz on 04.10.11 at 12:02 pm

Have you ever had a “cold sore”? The real name for that is oral herpes. You need to get educated.

#52 Mark on 04.14.11 at 6:59 am

To be honest i have no stds but if i had the chance with jessica alba id say fuck it and do it anyway

#53 anonymous on 04.30.11 at 8:06 am

I felt the need to comment on this after reading what everyone else had to say. the original article is clear a pile of bullsh*t so not worth acknowledging but it’s definitely comforting to see I’m not alone. I had my first outbreak of Type 1 last November (no idea when I actually caught it). I had a real lack of education on the facts about herpes ie. that it can be years after you first contract it for an outbreak to occur, that you can get type 1 even if you had coldsores as a kid, that you can get it through oral sex or even when wearing a condom. Although I would always be too ‘nice’ to admit it, I thought it was something dirty girls got, who slept around and were never careful. I was in the middle of a monogamous long term relationship, I had nearly always used condoms, I had been tested regularly (as another poster said, you aren’t generally tested for herpes unless displaying symptoms), getting herpes was the very last thing I thought would happen to me and when I found out, it was a terrible horrible shock.

It nearly ruined my relationship with my boyfriend, and it destroyed my body image. I felt, and sometimes still feel, that there were too separate ‘me’s', the girl before I got herpes, and the girl after. Having sex was a huge problem after. I found it very painful and on visiting my doctor was told that the pain was psychosomatic- my body was creating that pain because I associated sex with being ill. Obviously this caused problems with my boyfriend. He’d been understanding but deep down I grew very resentful of the fact he may have given me this but he himself had no symptoms. He was effectively ‘clean’ but I would have to live with this forever. It made me feel like I should stay with him whatever happens, regardless of any other problems between us, because he accepted the herpes. Worst of all? Who ever I got it from just had the plain old stigma free cold sores but through them had given me an STI. I couldn’t deal with how unfair it all was.

Six months on and I’ve had one definite outbreak since and one that may or may not be. It is difficult at times. I’m still dealing with it and coming to terms with it but am confident that in time it will be a minor inconvience and nothing more. I will still be ‘me’.

I’m writing this really because I want people who may stumble on this having just found out they have herpes to know its ok. It was terrible for me at the start. On top of the physical pain I felt like my life was over. But really, it gets so much better and as someone else said, it really can make you stronger. If I break up with my boyfriend (who really has been amazing-real proof that not everyone is gonna be an assh*le about finding out you have this) then I know that whoever doesn’t want to be with me because I have this was never worth it anyway. It does not have to rule your life. Don’t let it.

And to all the dickhe*ds making jokes about it: Read the statistics sweetheart. If you don’t have it chances someone you’re sleeping with will. Get over it.

#54 anonymous on 05.22.11 at 4:15 pm

I never thought that one day i would be infected with herpes. At first when i was told i had herpes i was crying and in shocked. I thought my life was over. Well i got herpes from my boyfriend. It was from sexual contact, it was our first time. If anyone knows how to deal with the pain please tell me.

#55 Lady L. on 06.02.11 at 9:45 am

Herpes is very common virus. Those of you who have commented in a negative manner, beware, you too could contract this inconvenient virus. There are worse things in life like dying from cancer. I bet most of the women and men you sleep with haven’t told you about this virus. Remember 1 out of 4 to 5 people have the virus. Stop making fun of people like myself who have it, or you too may wind up with this little annoying bug. FYI, Herpes is highly controlled with Valtrex. Get tested, and get informed you jerk!

#56 Mechelle on 07.02.11 at 10:39 pm

I found out that I was infected with genital herpes (HSV-2) on May 12, 2011.

My my boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend purposely infected him with herpes in their relationship. Then she called joking saying that, “All of y’all gonna be sick.” At the time I didn’t understand what she meant until I had my checkup. We had only had unprotected sex once and the herpes was passed to me. I had an outbreak, yet he showed no symptoms, but he had a positive antibody test.

I have been in a monogamous relationship with my boyfriend for 3 months, and we had also been best friends for almost 2 years. Herpes has really put a damper on our relationship and friendship. I feel lost. It’s like all I can do is cry and wish I never crossed the line with him. It’s not his fault either, but it’s so humiliating to walk around everyday feeling this pain that I feel. It’s really devastating that I didn’t have the choice to accept this disease it was brought to me.

Living life with herpes his it’s ups and downs. A good thing is that herpes cannot disable you from doing everyday activities. You can resume a normal healthy life. The key to managing outbreaks is eliminating and managing stress better. Also, I would advise all to seek counseling to deal with this issue (it helps). Herpes can also cause damaging psychological effects. The social stigmas associated with herpes are so hurtful. Often, people with herpes fall into a depression. They confide in themselves alone. DON’T FEEL ALONE. 1 in 4 people have herpes according to the CDC.

I am a prime example of recognizing that shit happens in life. I still can do all of the things that i used to do, but sometimes I may have an outbreak. When that occurs, I take my antivirals and try to relax. My Valtrex usually knocks my symptoms out in 1-3 days and I’m back to normal as if I don’t even have herpes!

I am writing this to encourage all to take care of yourself. Protect your body. If you’re in a relationship or if you’re just having a casual encounter please be safe and use a condom EVERY TIME. I’m not going to waste time and post the stats about HSV again. Just put yourself and mind at ease and just protect yourself.

#57 STD Free in Fl on 07.10.11 at 5:18 am

Newsflash: Herpes is disgusting. All of you defending it obviously have it, because those of us without that little gift that keeps on giving, are able to say it’s gross. Since when did having a STD become cool and sociably acceptable? Do the rest of us (clean people) a favor and only date others in your infected gene pool.
Sincerely,
STD Free in Fl

#58 wickerman on 08.11.11 at 3:02 am

Two things I know for sure, You’re all sinners and you’re all going to die!!!

#59 Sanaajeet on 08.20.11 at 8:59 am

To all who wrote from their personal experiences, thank you for your honesty. Great post Cheyanne. To the people making mean comments, you may find yourself with it yourself one day, and having a bad idea about it in your mind makes the symptoms worse.

When I first got it I wanted to kill myself because I felt so dirty and made the mistake of telling a close work friend who told others at my work place so I was so ashamed to be around people who knew that I was “dirty.” This was nearly a decade ago and I’m glad I made the choice to live because there are many understanding people out there and am grateful to the health nurse who took the time to talk to me when I was in anguish – she told me that I would find love and that the man would be of good character. The one who gave it to me was a jerk who was superficially good looking (he actually looked a lot like Eddie Cibrian) used charm to get his way and left me after the break out.

I dated some wonderful men who were accepting and supportive, it was hard to tell them but it is absolutely the right thing to do as I got it from someone who knew he had it but didn’t bother to inform me. People are much more accepting when you are honest about this than if you try and hide it. My husband was accepting and we can talk about it openly without shame without feeling dirty.

Stephanie, tell your sister to read some of these comments from people who have been through it, and come out on the other end ok. Tell her it is not her fault, she is not dirty and she does deserve to be loved. I hope she has found love and hope since the comment was from a while back.

From my own experiences the drugs they were not for me, when working in the pharmacy field I noticed that people who were on the drugs like zovirax kept having to take them and I think the reason for this is that when you take the drugs the body does not learn how to deal with the virus so there are more frequent break outs, this is my theory and opinon only.

Lysine, which is an amino acid, worked to help the outbreaks, a dear friend gave some to me and it worked. Also lemon balm tea and lavender tea which have anti-viral properties. Also it is good to research how to fight it and keep it in check with good nutrition. Anonymous, be kind to yourself, don’t beat yourself up mentally, keep away from negative nellies, it is not your fault. It may sound cliche, but time heals the mental and physical pain and I speak from personal experience too. As cheyanne mentioned it makes you make different life choices and the people who are genuine of heart will be accepting and loving towards you.

Herpes can be like a jerk/jerkette detector – the ones who are losers towards others about it aren’t worth dealing with in the first place. The ones who are accepting and loving are people of character.

#60 Olive on 10.03.11 at 3:52 pm

I just recently found out that I have HSV-2, from my boyfriend whom I love full heartedly, and these comments really brought me back, because I was in fear that I wouldn’t be loved by family or friends anymore, and constantly judged, but as far as the “disease” goes, it really doesn’t feel worse then wearing uncomfortable underwear. The symptoms, which can be heavy, never weigh me down, and I feel like the same women even though I have herpes. I HAVE HERPES! :-)

#61 Anonymous on 11.22.11 at 7:58 pm

This article is obnoxious and offensive. It is disrespectful and slanderous and is only feeding the fodder of social stigma that comes with having VERY COMMON STIs. People who make comments such as those in this article should have their right to free speech revoked.

#62 Bill on 12.15.11 at 2:04 am

Whoever wrote this article sounds like a 5 year old…Grow up. Herpes is a controllable virus. 60 mllion people have it…Part of life.

#63 JC on 03.05.12 at 2:03 pm

Ewww the comments are full of people with herpes…

#64 Nicole on 03.27.12 at 10:38 am

Just because herpes is common doesn’t make it okay to have. One in 12 people is racist, so is it okay to be racist. No, it’s not. An STD is a big damn deal. And if more people stopped running around screwing everything that moved, protected themselves, didn’t treat sex like it was like taking a walk in the park and stayed true to each other, we wouldn’t have 20% of the US infected with this crap. Screw your heads on. Herpes is nasty, period. I feel bad for the innocent people who got it, but it’s no freaking excuse. If you know you’re sexually active without any protection, then you should KNOW better. So, when celebrities get it that makes it OK? Have your partners tested. You people are ridiculous. All it takes is a celebrity to destigmatize something.

#65 ashley on 03.27.12 at 2:54 pm

literally just found out i have been infected with herpres. No signs at al. I was called after a blood test and they said it was neg. the next day.they said positive for recent expoure i have.been with two people and i know how exposed me. He is.overseas however and we are.already broken up. I know.he will deney it and will act like im the.gross one. I have to get the blood work done to see which one i have and im terrified. I feel alone and depressed. I dont think ill find a guy that will be okay with it.

#66 yeah go ahrad on 05.21.12 at 8:40 pm

ill still so her i dont care , i sleep around alot anyways so sooner or later ill catch it . it would be cool to catch it from a hot celeb

#67 captain billy on 06.29.12 at 3:02 am

Sorry you ignorant fools-but herpes IS the problem. The pigs that contract it and spread it should be quarantined on some island. Most holl;ywood stars are just whores-you can ut any kind of pretty name on thier “acting” but they are just high priced whores.

#68 Ted on 07.01.12 at 9:01 pm

I was diagnosed with Herpes when I was around 27. I’m pretty sure I contracted it from my girlfriend at the time. When I found out, I was terrified that I would never marry and have kids. Shortly after, I fell in love and my partner was very understanding.
To those who are scared, just know the fear will pass. Keep yourself healthy, get regular rest, and avoid certain foods when you feel an outbreak coming on. Believe me, if you do those things, the outbreaks will be minimal. Hell, I’ve gone a whole year at times without an outbreak (which is minimal).
It’s so common nowadays (unfortunately and fortunately)… just know you are by far not alone.

#69 Linda on 08.13.12 at 4:40 pm

Let me make one thing crystal clear here. The dirtiest, nastiest,most discusting things on this message board are the complete imbeciles who are calling herpes dirty, nasty, discusting, etc.
A virus is a virus. It isn’t dirty or nasty unless you’re an uneducated dolt who doesn’t have critical thinking skills nor the moral integrity for sound judgement.
For those of you who have posted such…go crawl back under the rock you obviously oozed out from under so we don’t have to read your icky, slimy, discusting, uneducated, unenlightened, dirty, stinky, evil little shitty ass stupid comments. And God help us that you don’t reproduce! Ewwwww. Can you imagine those nasty things reproducing? Ewwwwww!!!!

#70 Loz on 08.19.12 at 7:17 am

Genital herpes can be caused by either HSV1 or HSV2 and so can oral herpes(ie. a cold sore). Genital Herpes is not even strictly an STI and an infant can be infected by a simple kiss and transfer the virus via their hands to the genital area or to their mother’s nipples during breastfeeding. It is possible for a virgin to infect a partner with genital herpes by kissing or simply touching them with saliva on their hands. There is nothing dirty about having herpes. Know your body, if you have prodromal or active symptoms/ signs be careful. Most people with diagnosed HSV actually go the extra mile to protect themselves and their partners from infection from ALL STIs. To suggest that people with a HSV infection go out and intentionally infect people is like saying everybody who owns a gun goes out and shoots people.

#71 Baby on 08.29.12 at 1:06 pm

I got herpes when I turned 60! Unbelievable – from my ex husband. It was in my system for many years. I realized a diet with little or no sugar or chocolate helped. For an outbreak, it is good to use Aloe Vera jelly. It deadens the area and heals lesions fast. Aloe Vera is very cheap. Also Ibuprofen helps. I take Valtrex, but not often, just when I feel an outbreak coming on.

#72 ME on 08.30.12 at 3:21 pm

WOULD STILL HIT

#73 Diamond on 09.03.12 at 3:45 am

Some ppl on here are gross and I feel sorry for some but I do agree with some off you guys why give it to someone else and you guys were talkin about killing yourself at 1 time or another and some of you still date std free ppl its ppl like y’all who are disgusting and need to be shipped to a island what your purpose for ruining somebody else’s life because yours a little abnormal And its actually purposely because you know you have it I don’t really judge just from my opinion strap up if you care about yourself my uncle’s are gay so I get tested with them every 6 months I have a beautiful handsome fiancee who has had his share of women and I’m healthy I’m great my advice is just be carefull its a lot of very nasty ppl like some of the one’s you’ve read

#74 Linda on 09.08.12 at 8:26 pm

Hey Diamond,
After reading your post a few times, I’m getting that you’re opposed to those who have herpes, don’t take medication, and pass it on to others? I’m not sure.

#75 Linda on 09.08.12 at 8:30 pm

BTW I recently learned from my OB/GYN that 50%….that’s 50% of people in Washington State have herpes!
How does she know this? She was involved in a 15 year University of Washington study wherein people came in to be tested, not knowing whether or not they had it. 50%!!!! Every other person you know has herpes in Washington State!
The average for the rest of the states is about 30%.
Folks…this virus is MUCH more common than anyone could imagine!

#76 anonymous on 09.10.12 at 11:15 am

Hey ‘Diamond’

Why don’t you do us all a favour and go ship your nasty, trashy, ignorant illiterate little self to an island so the rest of us don’t have to listen to your filth anymore.
What I love about reading vile posts like yours on here is that statistically a good few of you have h or will get it in future. Sorry Diamond, you and your ‘beautiful handsome fiancee’ too…

Have a nice day :)